LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (KTHV) -- As long as food is handled and stored properly, it can stay acceptable long after the sell-by and use-by dates-several weeks longer in some cases.
Here are a few items that hang around for a while from Women's Health magazine.
1. Apples. These can last up to 3 weeks in the fridge.
2. Unopened salsa jars. Grab the chips, because salsa can last up to two months.
3. Pickles. They stay good up to three months.
4. Hard-boiled eggs. You can keep these in your fridge up to a week.
5. Fruit juice. Take your time with it, it can hang around for 10 days.
6. Chocolate syrup. This ice cream topper will last up to 6 months.
7. Salad dressing. Don't toss it after the expiration date. It's good for 3 months.
8. Lettuce and broccoli. These veggies will stay crisp and fresh for about 5 days.
9. Spinach. Get your fill of spinach for up to 14 days.
10. Jellies and jams. Surprisingly, this toast-topper can hang around your fridge for up to a year!