LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (KTHV) -- If you eat the same things every week, you may be missing out on an easy way to boost your health. Here are five surprising super foods you should be eating from Shine from Yahoo!
1. Bamboo shoots - A great low-calorie, high-fiber veggie packed with anti-oxidants that help ward off cancer-causing free radicals. Find bamboo shoots in the canned-food section of your supermarket, and add to salads, stir-fries, and soups.
2. Pumpkin seeds - Rich in protein and phytosterols, these little treats have been shown to reduce levels of harmful LDL cholesterol. Eat them plain for an afternoon snack or sprinkle some on top of your salad for added crunch.
3. Swiss chard - This leafy green is loaded with potassium, which helps to balance electrolytes and prevent muscle cramps. Simply saute Swiss chard and garlic in olive oil for a delicious side dish.
4. Kiwis - They have more immune-system-strengthening vitamin-C than grapefruits, oranges, or strawberries. It's suggested you switch out your usual berries with kiwis to put on Greek yogurt.
5. Beets - They're rich in folic acid, which has been shown to lower levels of an amino acid in blood linked to heart disease. Roast beets to bring out their sweetness.