LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (KTHV) – Several nonprofits in central Arkansas are offering free tax preparation this year including United Way of Central Arkansas and Goodwill Industries of Arkansas.
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance is an IRS program that offers free tax preparation to households that make $54,000 or less, persons with disabilities and taxpayers that speak limited English and need assistance in preparing their own tax returns. IRS-certified volunteers provide free basic income tax return preparation with electronic filing to qualified individuals.
United Way of Central Arkansas will first offer VITA services at United Way Free Tax Preparation Super Saturday. This event will be held February 3, 2018, at UCA Brewer-Hegeman Conference Center from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Childcare and translation services will be available. Below are a list of the services and vendors that will be available at the event.
- Arkansas Single Parent Scholarship Program (Scholarship opportunities)
- Arkansas Coding Academy (Information about this educational opportunity)
- Faulkner County Council on Aging (Senior services)
- Community Action Program of Central Arkansas (CAPCA) (providing information about programs to assist lower-income families in their transition out of poverty)
- Hope and Compassion (Drug addiction education)
- Women’s Shelter of Central Arkansas
- Salvation Army (Pathway of Hope information)
- Conway Cradle Care (Providing FREE childcare for children 10 and under)
- Arkansas Department of Workforce Services
- Walgreens (Free health assessments and prescription discounts)
- Arkansas Cancer Coalition (Smoking cessation)
- Arkansas Hunger Relief Alliance (SNAP applications)
- Judge Braswell (Compassion Court)
- Doug Isanhart (Budgeting 101)
- First Security Bank (Credit counseling and new home buyer education)
- Crews & Associates (General investment information)
- Bank of the Ozarks (Opening bank accounts)
- First Service Bank (Opening bank accounts)
- Smoothie King (Samples)
- Centennial Bank (Centennial grill masters & greeters)
United Way of Central Arkansas will also offer free tax preparation starting from Monday, February 5 through Friday, April 13 from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Residents can drop off their taxes at the United Way office located at 1120 W. Oak Street by appointment only. Once again, all these tax preparation services are free of charge.
Goodwill Industries of Arkansas is partnering with the Central Arkansas Development Council, offering free tax preparation to people in Central Arkansas.
You have two extra days to file your returns this year, but there’s no need to wait. Professional tax preparers are here to help. It takes just two easy steps:
Call the CADC at 501-320-1908 to make an appointment
Gather your applicable tax documents, including:
- W-2 form for each job held in 2017
- 1099 form if you collected unemployment, health care reimbursements, etc.
- 1098 form if you paid property taxes or school loans
- 1095-A if you received a credit from the healthcare.gov marketplace
- Income/Interest statements
- Bank account numbers
- Social Security number & date of birth, for yourself as well as spouse and dependents
- Documentation of business expenses or charitable donations
- Mortgage interest statement (if you own a home)