GREENSBORO, NC – Recently, an abuse survivor shared her story of trying to protect herself and her children from her abusive ex-husband.

Nicole Beverly lives in Michigan, but plans to escape to somewhere with better laws to protect abuse survivors.

Her ex-husband is serving out the end of his sentence on a 2012 aggravated stalking conviction involving his ex-wife. But, threats to kill her continue to come from inside his prison cell. Four times in four years, he allegedly tried to hire people to kill Nicole and their children from prison or threatened to kill them himself when he’s released.

Michigan is one of 14 states without an address confidentiality program. These programs were created to protect victims of stalking, domestic and sexual assaults crimes. It hides your address from public records, like voter and drivers’ license registries.

In North Carolina, the program is free and currently, close to 1,000 people participate in the program. The way it works- a fake address is chosen by the Attorney General’s office, and mail is forwarded to the victim and the new, real address is kept a secret.

First things first, the victim must be willing to move. This way, the abuser does not know the location already.


Must be a victim of domestic or sexual assault, stalking or human trafficking.

Must live in a location unknown to abuser or stalker.

Must have legitimate concern or fear for safety for yourself or children.


Provides layer of security.

Mail is forwarded to substitute address.

No fees for applying or participating in the program.

Substitute address will be public record- used for state and local government services.

Once in the program, a substitute address will be provided regardless of where the victim lives or how many times they move.


A victim’s address cannot be kept secret, if they victim owns property (house or land) and the property is in their name on public record.

Cannot require private companies to accept substitute address.

Cannot help a victim get a new name or social security number.

To learn more, visit or call 919-716-6785.