LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (KTHV) - Today is National Fresh Veggies Day, so it's the perfect day to have some for lunch or dinner.
Here is Deanna Fleming’s recipe for blanched vegetable salad:
- 40 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 yellow squash, sliced
- 1 green squash, sliced
- 1 handful of Italian green beans
- 1 Cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 Tablespoon of Italian seasonings
- 1 Cup pitted and sliced green olives
- 1 (6oz.) can of sliced black olives, drained
- ½ purple onion, sliced
- 3 oz. pine nuts or sesame seeds
- ¼ Cup olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon white sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
Combine tomatoes, olives, and nuts/seeds in mixing bowl.
Blanche squash and green beans until barely cooked and still crunchy. Lightly dust with Italian seasoning. Add to mixing bowl.
Saute mushrooms slightly. Add to mixing bowl.
In small separate bowl, mix together vinegar, oil, sugar, and Italian seasoning. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour over salad and gently stir to coat.
Chill for one hour before serving.