PINE BLUFF, Ark. (KTHV) - If you live in Pine Bluff and want to see better parks in the area, let the city know your thoughts. Mayor Shirley Washington has announced plans for a new state grant to help.

The city hosted a public meeting at Saracen Landing Tuesday night. Pine Bluff is asking for up to $250,000 from the Arkansas Department of Parks and Tourism. Officials need community input to help identify priorities if they are granted the money.

"I would like to see the park expand with more activities for the kids,” said a new resident of the city, Vester Miller.

“Pine Bluff, to me, is antique," said Gladys Benton, who is also new to Pine Bluff. "Since I've been here I've seen so much history.”

City employees are steadily increasing their expansion efforts in hope of revitalizing the once flourishing town.

"In order for government to work we have to get feedback and be transparent about what we're looking for and what we're doing,” Hines said.

The city is striving to create all-inclusive areas.

“They'll need wheel chair ramps. They'll also need places for people with disabilities to look at the water where their wheel chairs can sit,” Benton said.

Some residents said they'd like to see a tour bus or a boat ferry that travels along the Arkansas River.

“There’s nice fishing and stuff out here, the park is really a good park. It could just could use a little cleaning up,” Miller suggested.

Others in the community would rather see existing parks improved rather than creating new ones. Officials said their main concern is to make sure parks in the city cater to people of all ages and abilities.

“We want to make sure that no child has to figure it out and that there are playgrounds that will accommodate them at whatever level,” said Hines.

The city wants all interest groups to make sure their voices are heard.

If you didn’t attend the meeting no worries. Submit your written comments to:

City of Pine Bluff, 200 East 8th Street, Pine Bluff, AR 71601.

For further information, please contact Stephen Bronskill at (870) 730-2004.