LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) – U.S. Senators John Boozman and Tom Cotton—along with Congressmen Rick Crawford, French Hill, Steve Womack and Bruce Westerman—today announced that the Federal Emergency Management Association approved a disaster declaration for the State of Arkansas.

President Donald Trump has ordered federal assistance for areas affected by recent severe storms, flooding and tornadoes that struck the state in April and May.

“This quick response in support of Governor Huthinson’s request is necessary to help Arkansas families, businesses and communities recover from the severe storms, flooding and tornado that affected our state this spring,” members of the Arkansas Congressional Delegation said.

Assistance can include grants for temporary housing, low-cost loans to cover uninsured property losses and other programs. Federal assistance will also be available for emergency repair or replacement of damaged facilities in 28 counties.

High water in Pocahontas, Erika Ferrando

The severe weather is blamed for 10 deaths and millions of dollars in property and agricultural damage.

Under this designation individual assistance is available for residents and households of Benton, Boone, Carroll, Clay, Faulkner, Fulton, Jackson, Lawrence, Pulaski, Randolph, Saline, Washington and Yell Counties.

Public assistance for emergency work and the repair or replacement of disaster-damaged facilities is available for Baxter, Benton, Boone, Carroll, Clay, Cleburne, Conway, Craighead, Cross, Faulkner, Independence, Izard, Jackson, Lawrence, Madison, Marion, Mississippi, Montgomery, Newton, Ouachita, Perry, Poinsett, Prairie, Randolph, Saline, Washington, White and Woodruff Counties.

All Arkansas counties are eligible to apply for assistance under the Hazard Mitigation Grant Program, which helps prevent or reduce long-term risks to life and property.

Arkansans eligible for individual assistance can register with FEMA by:

  • Applying online here
  • Calling the registration phone number at 1-800-621-3362; those who have a speech disability or hearing loss and use TTY, should call 1-800-462-7585 directly; for those who use 711 or Video Relay Service (VRS), call 1-800-621-3362.