LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (KTHV) -- On "Today's THV at 9:00" we are baking up a great fall treat with sweet potatoes.
On THV's Bon Appetit, Baptist Health Registered Dietician Kay Ammons will join Ashley, Alyse and Tom to share this great recipe.
½ cup canola oil
1 ¼ cups sugar
4 egg whites
1 ¼ cups mashed cooked sweet potatoes
1/3 cup skim milk
1 ½ cups whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
Optional: ½ cup raisins
Optional: ¼ cup pecans
2 tablespoons sugar
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Mix oil and 1 ¼ cup sugar, beating at medium speed of an electric mixer.
2. Add egg whites, beat well.
3. Stir in sweet potatoes and milk.
4. Combine flour, baking powder, salt, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and nutmeg; add to creamed mixture, stirring just until moistened.
5. If desired - stir in raisins and pecans.
6. Spoon into muffin pans. (spray with Pam or use paper cups), filling two-thirds full.
7. Combine 2 tablespoons sugar and ½ teaspoon cinnamon; sprinkle on top.
8. Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
Yield: 24 muffins
Nutritional Information for 1 serving
Fat: 5 gm
Saturated Fat: 0
Fiber: 1 gm
Sodium: 81 mg
Protein: 2 gm
Total Carbohydrate: 20 gm