LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (KTHV) -- Want a delicious southern dish? How about chickent buscuit pot pie!
Cynthia Malik with Pulaski Tech Culinary School will join Ashley to demonstrate this recipe.
Chicken Biscuit Pot Pie
Makes 4-6 servings
For the Filling:
1/4 cup butter
1 small onion, chopped
2 celery ribs, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
2/3 cup frozen peas
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 2/3 cups chicken broth
salt and ground black pepper to taste
3 cups cooked chicken, cut into bite-size pieces
For the Biscuit Top:
1 ½ cups flour
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon baking soda
¼ cup butter, cut into small pieces
¾ cup milk
1/6 cup milk or cream for brushing on biscuit top
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Melt butter in a skillet over medium-low heat, and cook the onion, celery, carrots and potatoes without browning, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in peas, thyme and flour, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the flour coats the vegetables and begins to lightly brown, about 5 minutes. Whisk in chicken broth a little at a time until smooth. Bring the mixture to a slow boil, reduce heat and simmer about 15 minutes. Season to taste with salt and black pepper, and mix in the chicken meat.
For the biscuits:
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Using your fingertips, rub butter and into dry ingredients until mixture looks like crumbs. (The faster the better, you don't want the fats to melt.) Make a well in the center and pour in the chilled milk. Stir just until the dough comes together. The dough will be very sticky.
4. Turn dough onto floured surface, dust top with flour and gently fold dough over on itself 5 or 6 times. Roll into the shape of your casserole dish, about 1 inch thick.
5. Transfer the chicken, vegetables, and sauce into a 2-quart baking dish. Arrange biscuit crust on top of the filling. Pierce the dough in 3 or 4 places with a paring knife. Brush milk or cream on the biscuits.
6. Bake in the preheated oven until the biscuits are golden brown and the pie filling is bubbling, 20 to 25 minutes. Let rest 10 minutes before serving.