LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (KTHV) -- Love pork chops? Here's a great recipe!
Alexis Sims, communications director for the Southwest affiliate of the American Heart Association will demonstrate pan fried pork chops with mashed sweet potatoes with Ashley, Alyse and Tom.
Pan Fried Pork-Chop with Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Prep time 15 minutes Cooking time 30 minutes
Mashed Sweet Potatoes
3 medium sweet potatoes (about 2 pounds)
1/3 cup 100% orange juice.
1/3 cup low-fat or fat free sour cream
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg or cinnamon
1. Peel sweet potatoes with vegetable peeler and rinse. Cut into eighths.
2. Place potatoes in a large pot adding water to cover. Bring to a boil and cook 20 minutes until tender.
3. Drain potatoes and return to pot.
4. Add remaining ingredients and mash with a potato masher or fork.
NOTE: in a hurry? Use 2 (16 oz) cans of yams (in water or lite syrup, drained and rinsed) add remaining ingredients, mash, and heat in microwave.
Pan Fried Pork Chop
4 (4 oz) pork chops
1/2 cup 100% whole-wheat flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon vegetable or canola oil
1. Trim visible fat from pork chops and lay out on a plate. Sprinkle evenly with salt, pepper, or garlic powder (both sides).
2. Sprinkle four on a different plate or shallow dish. Dredge pork in flour.
3. Heat oil in a large, non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Swirl pan to coat with oil.
4. Add pork to pan, cooking 5 minutes, turn pork over and cook 3-4 minutes or until desired doneness.
Total Fat 9.5 g
Saturated Fat 2.5 g
Trans Fat 0.0 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1.5 g
Monounsaturated Fat 4. 0 g
Cholesterol 78 mg
Sodium 309 mg
Carbohydrates 48 g
Fiber 7 g
Sugars 10 g