Recipe according to Charles Silas Edwards' Instructions:
Wash hands with water, soap, vigor and more vigor.
*2 cups self-rising flour
*1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
*1 teaspoon accent
*1 teaspoon baking powder
*2 heaping teaspoons shortening
*1 1/4 pounds sharpest cheddar cheese
*Milk (2/3-1 cup)
1. Add red pepper, accent and baking powder to flour and mix well.
2. Chop shortening into flour thoroughly.
3. Grink 2/3 of cheese through medium grinder and mix with flour mixture.
4.Grind balance of cheese with finest grinder and mix with #3.
5. Scrub balance of vigor into another hand washing, and make dough with hands.
6. Roll out dough with rolling pin. For biscuits I have dough 'bout 2/5 inch thick and use 2 inch metal cutter.
7. Bake at 425 for 10 or so minutes and then up a bit and finish browning as desired.
WFMY News 2 /