LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (KTHV) - Fasten your seatbelts because 'Today's THV This Morning' is taking you on the wild ride through some of the more challenging ages and stages of child development each Tuesday during the month of May.
Parenting is often referred to as the hardest job you'll ever love. Just when you think you've gotten your kids all figured out, they hit another age and stage of their development and the game completely changes.
The new baby honeymoon is over, and the toddler tug of war has begun. This stage of development is filled with great adventure, exploration, and testing limits thanks to your child's new found mobility.
The power struggle is on, but Centers for Youth and Families' Parent Educator Heather Bennett has some helpful considerations for surviving this difficult stage.
1. Educate yourself about what's age appropriate.
2. Make sure needs are met.
3. Make patience a priority.
4. Provide clear boundaries & reminders.
5. Show child love and respect.
6. Is it an accident or intentional?
7. Be the adult and be confident.
8. Provide clear and immediate consequences.
9. Explain, review and love.
10. Forgive & forget.