ASHDOWN, Ark. (AP) - Authorities say 10 sixth-grade students in Ashdown fell ill after they ingested a powdery substance that one of them brought to class.
Police Chief Doyle Crouch says authorities haven't identified the substance yet. The students all reported feeling sick to their stomachs.
The chief tells the Texarkana Gazette (http://is.gd/rez3gv) that police believe students put the powder on their hands and then licked it off the skin. He says the case is under investigation and it has not been determined if charges will be filed.
One student was taken to a Texarkana hospital, and the other nine students were back at school Wednesday. The student who was hospitalized is expected to recover.
The school did not have an immediate comment on the incident.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.)