Little Rock Veterans' Home
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (KTHV)- The state has decided to close Little Rock's Veterans Home.
This move follows an investigation last month that revealed the home's administrator misappropriated funds.
Now, The Arkansas Department of Veterans Affairs needs to find new homes for the facility's 60 residents.
The aging facility on Charles Bussey Avenue in Little Rock is home to 60 disabled veterans, for now.
The state alerted residents Thursday that it will close the veterans home once all residents can be placed in new homes.
Governor Mike Beebe says the Arkansas Department of Veteran Affairs will work with each one in the re-location process. He says, "Nobody is going to close the veterans home until there is a specific plan for each individual veteran to have an alternative."
Just last month the administrator of the veterans home was terminated for the misappropriation of funds, but Gov. Beebe says the decision to shut down the facility came down to the its physical status.
"Obviously, it's an old facility, in order to make it right it's going to require a lot more money than what alternatives would be good to place them in other facilities."
The goal now Gov. Bebee says is to find places for the veterans to live. He says, "Some can go to assisted living facilities, some may have to go to a different veterans home, but nothing is going to happen until every veteran has a plan."
Several veteran agencies will help find VA-approved nursing homes or assisted living facilities for residents to call their new homes.
Until then, Gov. Bebee says residents will remain where they are. He says, "It will remain open until such time every single veteran is provided an appropriate option."
The federal VA pays for the care of qualified veterans in state homes and private nursing homes that meet its standard of care.
The closing will also displace nearly 80 employees.