Photo Courtesy: Ladonna Weems
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) - A wildfire that forced the evacuation of dozens of homes in western Arkansas has been completely contained.
Arkansas Forestry Commission spokeswoman Sheila Doughty said firefighters were monitoring the blaze near Atkins in Pope County to make sure the blaze didn't rekindle and burn past a fire line. Doughty says the flames charred an estimated 550 acres but no injuries were reported and no homes were lost.
Authorities issued an evacuation order for 144 homes Tuesday after the fire came within several hundred yards of residences. Emergency dispatcher Bill Teeter says people were allowed to return home about 7 p.m. Tuesday.
Doughty says crews were monitoring a fire in Logan County that had charred about 285 acres. Another blaze near Maumelle that burned about 80 acres had been contained.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)