Certain foods are known for sending your cholesterol skyrocketing, but some foods are just as good at lowering it too.
Reader's Digest detailed 5 foods that help lower your cholesterol naturally.
1. Roasted almonds with the skins. Just a fistful of almonds packs a whopping 9 grams of monounsaturated fat, helping slash bad cholesterol, while boosting the good kind. Opting for almonds instead of a doughnut, chips, or pretzels for two snacks a day could cut your "bad" cholesterol by nearly 10 percent.
2. Avocados. Men and women who ate one avocado per day for a week had a reduction in total cholesterol of 17%. Avocados contain high levels of good fat.
3. Tomatoes. Eating seven or more servings per week can cut your risk of cardiovascular disease by 30-percent. Plus, they contain stellar levels of vitamin-C, potassium, and fiber.
4. Salmon. Among omega-3-rich fatty fish, salmon is king. Salmon contains important omega-3's that help cut your risk of deadly out-of-rhythm heartbeats and reduce bad cholesterol.
5. Oatmeal. A big bowl of oatmeal everyday could cut cholesterol an extra 2 to 3 percent. So make yourself a bowl this morning.