Dogs are known as man's best friend. That's why it's important to know that there are a few food items that are toxic to your furry friend, while others contain harmful pits.
Here are 7 foods that could hurt your dog if ingested, compiled by Real Simple.
1. Avocados. This seemingly benign fruit contains persin, which is toxic to dogs in large quantities and can cause vomiting and diarrhea.
2. Onions. Potent onions damage red blood cells in both dogs and cats, leading to anemia and causing weakness, shortness of breath, and vomiting.
3. Grapes. Juicy grapes can cause kidney damage in dogs and cats, which may result in lethargy, increased thirst, increased urination, and vomiting.
4. Nuts. Macadamia nuts can cause muscle and nervous-system problems, triggering tremors, vomiting, weakness, and paralysis in dogs.
5. Chocolate. Never give your dog or cat this sweet treat-it stimulates the nervous system and the heart. Reactions include agitation, irregular heartbeat, tremors, and seizures.
6. Peaches. Feed your dog a peach and he may eat the pit, which can cause intestinal obstruction and cyanide poisoning.
7. Plums. Like peaches, plums have pits that contain cyanide and are harmful if swallowed.