INDIANAPOLIS, IN (CNN/WRTV) -- Crews are set to begin demolition work in that Indianapolis neighborhood rocked by a house explosion weeks ago. The city says 29 homes must come down.
As crews removed what they could from a house on fieldfare way, heavy equipment sits in front of it prepared for demolition. The home is located just two doors down from the house that exploded nov. 10.
It was one of six slated to be torn down, but all the permits had not been processed. Adam Collins with code enforcement says, "We're working with utilities to get disconnects, we want to make sure we have property owner authorization and verification to do so and they're waiting on asbestos sampling and testing to come back."
Thirty-three homes sustained heavy damage in the blast that killed a young couple and displaced families.
The Department of Code Enforcement ordered 29 to be demolished and doesn't anticipate adding more ot the list. Collins says, "We feel comfortable with the ones that we believe should come down at this time. There's been a little bit of additional moving of some of these structures in the last week to two weeks but nothing significant enough to require us to put in an order on them."
The four houses at the center of the blast can't be touched as investigators collect evidence from this homicide crime scene.
Once investigators wrap up their case, what's left of these houses will come down, too. But that may not be any time soon. Gary Coons with the Indiana Dept. of Homeland Security says, "It's pretty big and it's pretty complicated situation that we have to piece together, so it does take time and you've got to piece it together the right way and within the law, so that's the way we're doing it."
Meanwhile, families here try to pick of the pieces of their lives, their homes and their community.