LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (KTHV) -- Did you know that 39-percent of Americans are considering a hybrid or plug-in for their next car?
Even if you aren't, these tips will ensure you get more mileage out of every tank and save money on gas from Reader's Digest.
1. At the pump, avoid gas rated E15. E is for ethanol, which is about 30 percent less energy than gasoline and kills mpg.
2. While at the filling station, inflate your tires properly and check them for uneven wear.
3. On local roads, keep cool by opening the windows, enjoying the breeze, and turning off the gas-draining air-conditioning.
4. Keep your car clean and free from heavy items. Less weight means better mileage.
5. A warm engine is more effective, so when running errands start with the farthest one first then work your way home.
6. Avoid traffic if you can. Driving at speed is more fuel efficient than creeping along in low gear.
7. Get a tune up. A fully functioning engine is more efficient.
(Source: Reader's Digest)