Family loses home to fire amid winter snowstorm

    10:57 PM, Jan 1, 2013   |    comments
    • Share
    • Print
    • - A A A +

    LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (KTHV) -- It all started with the winter storm that knocked out power to more than 100,000 Arkansans.

    The Haslaers' home caught on fire the night after Christmas.

    "We lost electricity, that's why we had the gas insert on," said Sandee Haslauer.

    But staying warm came at a pretty high price.

    "When I got ready to go to bed at 9:30 I shut everything off," said Haslauer. "I shut the damper and the doors and the fire was out; three hours later it broke through and caught the living room on fire."

    Thankfully smoke alarms and dogs woke up Haslauer and her husband.

    "You don't even think about being scared, you just move," she said.

    The two made it out safely and watched their home, where they've lived since 1986, burn to the ground.

    "It's amazing when your house is burning, how your priorities change."

    While a burnt home is a big loss to this family, it's not the only problem they are dealing with. One of her sons lives a mile down the road, and a tree punched through the roof in his bathroom. Fortunately his family wasn't in that part of the house.

    While the Haslauers remain positive amid the fire and ice, they're hoping 2013 will bring a peaceful change.

    "I think an uneventful year would be lovely," said Haslauer.

    Most Watched Videos