LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (KTHV) -- We're helping you protect your money on this Consumer Tuesday. Don't make your storm damage worse by making a mistake on repair work.
Gary Stephenson with State Farm joins us with the questions you need to ask, and the information you need to know.
DO's & DON'Ts Regarding Contractor Repairs
Don't make your storm damage worse by making a mistake on repair work.
1. Don't make hasty repair decisions. Talk to your agent or insurer before hiring a contractor for large
repairs. Know what your insurance coverage will be.
2. Don't pay up front. Don't pay a deposit, don't pay in cash. Pay only after the work is satisfactorily
3. Do Know who you hire. Use a local firm you know, or one referred by someone you trust. Be wary of
contractors who approach you first.
4. Do Request proof of insurance. You do not want to be liable for any on-the-job accidents.
About insurance & contractors
• Don't hire a contractor that says he is working with an insurance company.
• Be wary of a contractor/roofer that says he will rebate your deductible.
• Don't authorize a contractor to negotiate with your insurer. (A policy is a contract between a home owner and the insurer).