Trevor Ware speaks to THV 11 News about hit and run case

    10:00 PM, Apr 15, 2013   |    comments
    • Share
    • Print
    • - A A A +
    • Nathan Ray (Photo: Pulaski County Jail)

    LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (KTHV) - He was hit by a car and thrown from his motorcycle, ending up alongside Interstate 40 for hours before someone would find him. And, for the first time Monday, THV 11 News heard from the victim in this nearly fatal hit-and-run case.

    Trevor Ware was in court Monday for a pre-trial hearing for Nathan Ray. He is the man accused of allegedly driving drunk before hitting Ware along I-40 in North Little Rock back in early September. THV 11's Max Seigle spoke with Ware after court to see what he remembers about the accident and what it was like seeing Ray for the first time.

    "I got into a wreck, and I got hurt. That guy hurt me bad," Ware said.

    It's the first time that Trevor Ware has spoken on camera with THV 11. He is the 28-year-old Little Rock musician and victim of a hit-and-run case that was back in court Monday in Pulaski County.

    "It was weird. The guy acted strange. I hope he gets a lot of time," Ware said.

    For the first time Monday, Ware saw Nathan Ray in court. He's accused of hitting Ware's motorcycle along I-40 in North Little Rock back in September and taking off. Ware ended up in a coma for two weeks. He's now in rehab full-time. 

    "You know, we want justice and to be sitting that close and to be there for suppressing statements that were made, it's really difficult," said Ware's mother, Pamela Ware.

    In court Monday, Ray's attorney asked the judge to suppress statements that Ray allegedly made in an audio and video recording with authorities, but Judge Barry Sims denied it. Part of those recordings included a conversation with a state trooper, who testified Monday that Ray admitted to drinking before the accident. It was also mentioned in court that Ray's blood alcohol level was .21 at the time-- almost three times the legal limit.

    "We just need to depend on the system. We need to trust it to work and to get a fair outcome for Trevor," Pamela Ware said.

    Ware's mother, girlfriend and more supporters came with Ware to court Monday. Like them, Ware wants justice, too, and a chance one day to return to his band.

    "I miss those guys a lot," Ware said.     

    Ware is currently spending his weeks at a rehab center in Benton. He goes home on the weekends and often gets a chance to visit with his band mates from the group Grand Serenade.

    His mother said there have been no guarantees from doctors about a full recovery yet, but given how far he's come since his coma, she is hopeful with time that her son will get better.

    Ray has entered a not guilty plea in this case. We reached out to his attorney in court Monday, but he declined to comment until after the trial is over. The trial is set to begin April 30.

    Ray's charges are first degree battery, second degree DWI, leaving the scene of an accident involving injuries and driving with a suspended license.

    Most Watched Videos