LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (KTHV) - The interim assistant principal at a Little Rock high school was arrested following allegations of inappropriate comments made to female students.
According to the Little Rock School District's communication director, Pamela Smith, interim assistance principal Thomas Randall McDonald, 56, worked at Little Rock Central High School and was arrested off-campus Tuesday.
Though his name is not included in the information from LRSD, parents were sent the following:
When the school administration learned of the allegations in December, the employee was immediately removed from campus, placed on administrative leave and LRSD Safety and Security personnel along with the Little Rock Police Department were contacted to begin an immediate investigation. A report was also made to the Department of Human Services. We were requested by legal authorities not to discuss the case so we would not jeopardize the investigation. However, the administration did follow district polices and protocol as per the law.
All adults are required to report to designated authorities when allegations of inappropriate behavior are brought to our attention. It is the immediate responsibility of the administration to protect the rights, privacy and well-being of the students involved. While this information is unfortunate, please remain confident that the administration and staff at Central High School are committed to the safety, security and education of all of our students.
Here are ways LRSD reinforces safety and security measures on our campus:
• Students are advised on how to report any observed bullying, harassment, inappropriate words or actions to an administrator, security officer, or school resource officer
• Administrators have an open door policy for student and parent concerns
• All visitors must report to the main office when entering one of our two school public entrances
• Security remains at these entrances during school hours
• Students are advised and know to report any suspicious visitors to an administrator, security officer, or school resource officer
The District takes matters related to inappropriate behavior by staff members and/or students very seriously and will discipline those who violate school policies according to state law and respective LRSD handbooks.