LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (KTHV) -- On this Home & Garden Wednesday, get into the spring-cleaning game by focusing on these essentials. Here are five spring cleaning tips to get it done faster.
Check out the full list from Reader's Digest: 8 spring cleaning tips
1. Clean carpets and upholstery. Fabrics that have absorbed a winter's worth of dirt, body oil, and germs will need a deep cleaning to get them ready for another year of wear. If you're not the furniture-shifting and machine-renting type, make it easy on yourself. Call in a professional carpet and upholstery cleaner to do the work.
2. Finish your floors. To protect the floors in your kitchen from another year of wear and tear, wax or apply a sealer following label directions. The simplest method: Use a combination wash-and-wax floor cleaner. Don't feel guilty about saving time!
3. Wash walls, cabinets, baseboards, and woodwork. Use a sponge and hand dishwashing detergent, washing the surface in sections. A sponge mop makes it easier to reach higher spots. Use two buckets: one for dishwashing detergent solution and another for wringing your sponge and dry the walls and woodwork with a clean cloth.
4. Clean your light fixtures. A few minutes with a stepladder, all-purpose cleaner, a sponge, and a polish cloth will give new light to your life. If your home has skylights or tall ceilings, consider investing in a stepladder and extended-reach dust-and-dirt-removal tools.
5. Check your coils. You should clean the refrigerator's condenser coil, usually found behind the toe grille, with a long-handled bottle brush and a vacuum cleaner with an attachment hose to remove dust and lint. Built-up dust can shut down the unit by causing it to overheat.