Update: Details released in deadly shooting, which led to protest

    8:23 PM, Jul 15, 2013   |    comments
    • Share
    • Print
    • - A A A +

    Photo Gallery: Police respond to Little Rock officer-involved shooting

    Video: Crowd of 100+ gathers where suspect killed in officer-involv

    (Note: The video attached to this story includes loud screaming, which may contain offensive language.)

    LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (KTHV) -- A crowd of 100-200 people gathered at the scene of a suspect being shot and killed by a Little Rock police officer Monday morning. The shooting happened before noon at 12th Street and Jefferson Street, according to Little Rock police.

    PHOTOS: Crowd gathers at site of officer-involved shooting ( http://on.kthv.com/18YWFrh )

    Sgt. Cassandra Davis said officers were on patrol in the area and came across a black, Chevy Suburban that matched the description of one they knew was on the LRPD stolen vehicle alert sheet. She said they also saw what they thought to be an expired license plate when they passed it, and decided to turn around and question the driver. However, as they turned around, they noticed that the SUV had parked at the side of the street, and the driver (who was later identified as Deon Williams, 26) had gotten out the car.

    Davis went on to say that as Willaims was getting out of the car, police noticed a bulge at his waistband that appeared to be a concealed item. According to Davis, when officers asked Williams to come over their cruiser, Williams began to run; one officer chased him on foot while the other followed in their police car in an attempted to cut Williams off.

    The officer on foot chased Williams into a back yard on the 1100 block of Adams Street, and noticed a handgun fall out of Williams' waistband as they rounded a corner, according to Davis. She added that the officer had a Taser in his hand during the chase but dropped it when he saw the handgun. The officer then reportedly drew his service weapon as Williams turned to pick up the handgun, look toward him, and get to his feet.

    Davis said the officer fired his service weapon approximately three times for fear of his life; Williams was taken into custody and rushed to UAMS where he died from his wounds at 12:17 p.m. In addition to Williams' gun, Davis said an unknown amount of narcotics were also found at the scene of the shooting.

    The Little Rock Police Department has opened two separate investigations in the incident. The first investigation will focus on compliance with Arkansas law and will be taken over by the department's Major Crimes Division and submitted to the Prosecuting Attorney's Office for review. The second will determine whether the officers involved acted in accordance with departmental policies; it will be conducted by the department's Professional Standards Section.

    Davis added that both officers were placed on administrative leave as required by Department policy and the investigations are continuing. Neither was injured.

    There were rumors from the scene that the person killed was a black teenager; however, that was not the case.

    Shortly after the shooting happened, a crowd gathered and was said to be yelling phrases such as "Trayvon Martin," "He was running away," and spitting on people. Some people at the scene were calling for justice for Bobby Moore, who was shot and killed in 2012 by a Little Rock police officer.

    THV's Dustin Wilson, who spent the afternoon at the scene, said the group grew to at least 100 people, some of which were yelling at the officers. Some called the officers 'cowards' while others are asked why they didn't use a Taser on the man.

    The area along 12th Street remained congested until about 4 p.m. when police left the scene, the crowd started dispersing, and the road was open again.


    View Larger Map

    Most Watched Videos