LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (KTHV) -- You can stop making excuses for why you deserve a rub down. Here are five surprising benefits of massage.
Check out the full list from Reader's Digest: 6 Surprising Benefits of Massage
1. Massage can help cut down on migraines - Researchers have found that those who suffered from debilitating headaches reported fewer migraines and more restful sleep after receiving massage therapy for several weeks. It's definitely worth a try.
2. Massage can help reduce pain from exercise - It helps reduce inflammation of skeletal muscles. Massage therapy may provide relief from post-workout aches and pains, similar to how anti-inflammatory medication helps swelling go down.
3. Massage can make you look younger - Massages stimulate blood flow, which is why regular gentle rubbing and kneading might keep your face looking healthy and radiant. Massage plumps slack skin, encourages lymphatic drainage, and adds vitality to a dull complexion.
4. Massage benefits chronic pain relief - Sufferers of arthritis, fibromyalgia, disc problems and degenerative joints can find relief after only a few massage therapy sessions. It may be worth it to give this natural remedy a try.
5. Massage can help treat side effects of cancer - Patients with metastatic cancer report better sleep, less pain, and overall better quality of life after receiving massage therapy. Also, Swedish, light touch, and foot massage reduces symptoms like pain, nausea, fatigue, depression, and stress in cancer patients.