(Photo: Marlisa Goldsmith/THV 11 News)
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (KTHV) - Jury selection began Monday for a retrial that is set to begin for a former Little Rock police officer charged with manslaughter in a teenager's death.
Josh Hastings' retrial is to get underway this week in Little Rock, after a jury deadlocked at a trial earlier this year.
Hastings is charged with manslaughter in the shooting death of 15-year-old Bobby Moore III.
Judge Wendell Griffen has repeatedly refused to recuse from the case, even though Hastings' lawyer, Bill James, asked him to do so.
Griffen also said Hastings' attorneys can't present evidence that suggests that the teenager and the two friends who were with him at the time of the incident had gang ties.
Griffen has said the slain teen and his friends are not on trial.
THV spoke with both lawyers; the prosecutor said the state prohibits him from commenting during the trial.
However, defense attorney James commented on what may be different during this upcoming trial.
"You know, we just want people that are going to be honest about the decision. We've tweaked our arguments a little bit to maybe be a little more clear on what the law is and to make sure they know but ultimately all they have to find is that he was reasonable."
Jury selection continues Tuesday morning.