LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (KTHV) -- THV is all about improving your health, especially with foods you might not have known contribute to a healthier life. Today we want to give you the top five health benefits of eating jalapeno peppers.
Check out the full list from Eat This!: 6 Health Benefits of Jalapenos
1. Migraine relief - Studies show the chemical that makes chili peppers hot is known to inhibit a key neuropeptide, that is the key brain pain transmitter.
2. Prevent sinusitis and relieve congestion - The heat in a jalapeño stimulates secretions that help clear mucus fighting nasal congestion. The pepper also has antibacterial properties that combat sinus infections and provide relief from sinus headaches.
3. Helps your cardiovascular system - They help defend heart health by reducing cholesterol, triglycerides and helps dissolve fibrin which blood clots need in order to form. Jalapeños are also high in vitamins A and C and in bioflavinoids that help strengthen blood vessels making them more elastic and better able to adjust to blood pressure changes.
4. Helps aid in cancer prevention - The capsaicin in jalapeños not only burns the tongue, but studies show it makes prostate cancer cells commit suicide. The flavonoids and vitamins in the peppers are excellent antioxidants, preventing cancer by stopping cell damage.
5. Anti-inflammatory - It inhibits the neuro-peptide that is associated with inflammatory processes just like how it relieves headaches and migraines that we told you before. It may also one day be a treatment for arthritis and diabetic neuropathy.