Ghost pepper-eating contest leaves man with a hole in his esophagus

A man who entered a ghost pepper-eating contest landed himself in the hospital with a 1-inch hole in his esophagus – a condition that can be fatal – according to a new report.

The ghost pepper, also known as “bhut jolokia” in its native India, is one of the world’s hottest chili peppers, with a score of more than 1,000,000 on the Scoville scale – a measurement of pungency of chili peppers. For comparison, that’s more than twice as hot as a habanero.

The case report, by doctors at the University of California-San Francisco and Alameda County Medical Center/Highland Hospital in Oakland, is published in The Journal of Emergency Medicine. It describes a 47-year-old man who came to the emergency room with severe abdominal and chest pain followed by “violent retching and vomiting after eating ghost peppers as part of a contest.”

A chest X-ray showed he had an abnormal amount of fluid in his lung. The doctors intubated him and took him to the operating room for emergency surgery, where they found a 1-inch tear in his esophagus. They diagnosed him with Boerhaave syndrome, or spontaneous esophageal rupture, which the authors describe as a “rare condition encountered by emergency physicians, with a high mortality rate.”

The man stayed in the hospital for a total of 23 days.

“This case serves as an important reminder of a potentially life-threatening surgical emergency initially interpreted as discomfort after a large spicy meal,” the authors conclude.

Copyright (c) 2016 CBS All Rights Reserved


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment