LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (KTHV) – Food blogger Debbie Arnold’s friend, Amy Hannon, owns Euna Mae’s, a specialty kitchen store in Springdale. Plus, she’s just finished writing her own cookbook, Love, Welcome, Serve which is due out in early November but can be preordered now by clicking here.
This Mexican Grilled Chicken Stack is an adaptation of one of her mother’s recipes. It’s easy, delicious and on the table in almost no time, giving you more time to visit with your family and rest from your busy day. For more information and recipes, click here.
• Salsa (recipe follows)
• Guacamole (recipe follows)
• 2 large skinless, boneless chicken breasts, split horizontally to create 4 pieces (If your have big eaters, you may want to serve them a whole breast instead.)
• 1 cup prepared Italian dressing (I also like Allegro Hot & Spicy Marinade.)
• 1 cup Riceland™ long-grain white rice, prepared according to package directions (You can substitute Riceland Boil-in-Bag™ white or brown rice.)
• 2 14-ounce cans black beans, drained just a bit
• 2-3 Tablespoons taco seasoning, divided use
• 1 ½ cups shredded cheddar or Mexican blend cheese
• 8 ounces Mexican Crema Sour Cream
• Chopped red onion
• Cilantro for garnish
• 1 cup halved cherry, grape or pear tomatoes, as garnish
Lisa McGuire’s Salsa (adapted)
Amy uses her own salsa recipe which is very similar to Lisa’s except hers makes almost twice as much as this one. Lisa and I taught together for years at Benton Middle School. Our family loves Lisa’s salsa.
• 1 28-ounce can whole, peeled tomatoes
• 1 can Rotel™ (I use Hot, but it is up to you.)
• 1 Tablespoon garlic salt
• 1 Tablespoon garlic, minced (about 3 cloves)
• 1 Tablespoon cumin
• 1 Tablespoon cilantro, chopped (I use more.)
• Juice of 1 lime
1. Put all of the salsa ingredients in the blender and pulse together for just a few seconds. DO NOT over blend or it will become watery.
2. This keeps very well in the refrigerator for at least a week. Serve with corn or tortilla chips of your favorite variety.
• 2 ripe avocados
• ½ cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
• ½ large shallot, minced
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• Juice of 1 lime
• Pinch of minced cilantro
• Dash of Tabasco™
• Salt to taste
1. In a bowl, combine and mash everything but the tomatoes.
2. Stir in the tomatoes.
3. Adjust seasonings to taste.
For the Chicken Stack
1. Marinate the chicken breast pieces in the Italian dressing while you prepare the other ingredients.
2. Prepare the salsa and the guacamole. (You can easily substitute commercially prepared salsa and guacamole. I recommend My Brother’s Salsa™, an Arkansas product. If you prefer, skip the guacamole and just use slices of avocado.)
3. Gently press plastic wrap directly on the surface of the guacamole to keep it fresh while you prepare the rest of the recipe.
4. Prepare the rice according to package directions; stir in ¾-1 cup of salsa into the rice to make a quick Spanish type rice.
5. Stir 1 Tablespoon of taco seasoning into the two cans of beans (slightly drained), and heat over medium low.
6. Stir 1 Tablespoon of taco seasoning into the Mexican Crema or sour cream.
7. Drain Italian dressing from chicken Grill the chicken on the stovetop or charcoal grill.
8. While the chicken is hot, cover each of the chicken breasts with cheddar cheese and allow it to melt.
9. Starting with rice, layer the ingredients in this order: seasoned black beans, grilled chicken with melted cheese, salsa, guacamole, seasoned sour cream, minced red onions, and chopped cilantro.
10. Serve with a lime wedge plus more salsa and warmed corn or tortilla chips.
© 2017 KTHV-TV