LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (KTHV) -- Whether prepared in the oven, on the stove or in the slow cooker, soups make dinner time a snap with just a little preparation ahead of time.
We’re celebrating National Soup Month, and food blogger Debbie Arnold joined THV11 This Morning with several different recipes that are not only delicious, but easy and quick to prepare. You can find the recipes below. Watch the video for more!
Taramahoota Pollo Sopa con arroz
Can be made in the slow cooker or on the stove top. Serves 6 - 8
Ingredients for rice:
-1 cup Riceland Extra Long Grain Rice (substitute quinoa or freekeh)
-2 cups water or chicken broth
-½ teaspoon kosher salt
-1 teaspoon Riceland Rice Bran Oil or canola oil
Directions for rice:
Cook according to rice cooker or package directions.
When rice has completed cooking, remove the pan from the heat, fluff with a fork, and cover with a clean kitchen cloth and replace the lid.
Allow the rice to cool completely before removing lid and towel. Fluff and set aside in a separate container.
Ingredients for soup:
-Two very large bone-in, skin on chicken breasts, cut in half crosswise or cooked deli chicken
-1 10- ounce package Pictsweet frozen seasoning blend (or 1 large onion, chopped, two stalks celery, thinly sliced, ½ cup chopped red bell pepper)
-1 teaspoon granulated garlic
-½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
-1 teaspoon ground cumin
-1 14 ½-ounce can tomatoes with green chilies
-1 32-ounce container low-sodium chicken broth
-1 large cube Knorr chicken bouillon (or two small)
-1 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
-1 cup cilantro leaves, chopped plus more for garnish
-1 ripe avocado, cubed
-1 lime, juiced
-Salt to taste
Directions for soup (for preparation in a pressure, slow or rice cooker):
1. In the pressure cooker insert, place all ingredients except black beans, cilantro, avocado, lime and salt.
2. Set pressure cooker to cook on HIGH for 10 minutes.
3. Allow pressure to come down naturally for 10 minutes; release pressure, remove lid and remove chicken pieces to a bowl. Cool enough to handle.
4. When the chicken can be handled, remove bones and skin and roughly shred chicken.
5. Return the chicken to the soup pot. Stir in the black beans and cilantro.
6. Set the slow cooker function to LOW; place lid on cooker and allow the soup to cook for 3-4 hours.
7. When ready to serve, stir in lime juice and 2 cups cooked rice (additional rice may be added as desired.)
8. Taste for seasoning.
9. Serve garnished with chopped cilantro and avocado.
10. Serve with tortilla chips, if desired.
Note: If you plan to freeze leftover soup, add rice to individual soup bowls instead of to the soup pot.
Rainy Day Easy Cream of Tomato-Basil Soup
-1 14.5-ounce can petite diced tomatoes
-1 11.5-ounce can Spicy Hot V-8 juice
-1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning, crushed (or more)
-1 1/2 Tablespoons prepared pesto
-3 Tablespoons unsalted butter, optional
-1 cup heavy cream
-Freshly cracked black pepper
1. Combine tomatoes, V8 and tomato paste in a saucepan over medium heat; add in cream and blend with an immersion blender.
2. Stir in Italian seasoning, pesto and unsalted butter, if using; stir well to combine.
3. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Barleycorn’s Cheese Soup
-2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
-1 cup finely chopped carrots (or more)
-1/2 cup finely chopped onions
-32 ounces low-sodium chicken broth
-6 cups water
-1 pound Velveeta™ (The 2% can be used, but I prefer the regular.)
-Salt and pepper to taste
-2/3 cup flour
-2/3 cup melted unsalted butter
1. Add carrots and onions to the 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter in a large soup pot; cook until tender (approximately 25-20 minutes).
2. Pour in the chicken broth and water; boil gently for 10-15 minutes.
3. Add one pound of Velveeta which has been cut into chunks (or just pull it off with your hands). Simmer slowly until cheese is melted.
4. Make a paste of the flour and melted butter and pour it slowly into the simmering liquid. Stir well with a whisk. Simmer at least 15 minutes.
Pesto Cannellini Bean and Sausage Soup
-2 Tablespoons olive oil
-1 cup chopped onion
-1 cup chopped celery
-5 garlic cloves sliced
-3 links Petit Jean Meats™ Hickory Smoked Sausage
-Pinch red pepper flakes
-1 cup matchstick carrots
-2 15.5-ounce cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
-3 cups chicken stock (substitute vegetable stock or water)
-1/2 cup chopped roasted red peppers
-Rind of Parmesan, optional
-1/2 cup chopped olives
-3 Tablespoons basil pesto
-Shaved Parmesan as garnish
-1 cup uncooked small pasta (small shells, ditalini, mini farfalle, etc.), prepared, optional
1. In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Sauté onion and celery until tender; add garlic and sauté 2-3 minutes until fragrant.
2. Add in sliced sausage, red pepper flakes and carrots. Sauté 2-3 minutes.
3. Add in drained and rinsed cannellini beans, chicken stock, red peppers and Parmesan rind.
4. Simmer approximately 30 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare pasta according to package directions; drain and set aside.
5. Finish soup by adding olives and pasta; stir to warm through.
6. Garnish with shaved parmesan and serve with a crusty garlic bread.
Click here for even more recipes and tips from Debbie Arnold.
© 2017 KTHV-TV