LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (KTHV) -- On this Valentine's Day, how about showing your love with pie?!
Food blogger Debbie Arnold with Dining with Debbie joined THV11 This Morning to share some delicious homemade pie ideas.
Nutella Hazelnut Tart
· 1/2 cup blanched hazelnuts
· 1 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
· 2 tablespoons sugar
· 1/ 4 teaspoon salt
· 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
· 1 large egg, beaten
· 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
· 1 cup Nutella
· 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed
· 1/2 cup half and half
· 1/2 cup sorghum syrup
· 1 teaspoon vanilla
· 1/4 teaspoon salt
· 3 eggs, beaten
· 1 cup chopped, toasted hazelnuts
1. Toast the hazelnuts in a skillet over medium heat until golden, about 8 minutes. Let cool.
2. Transfer 1/3 cup nuts to a food processor. Add the flour, sugar and salt; pulse until the nuts are finely ground. Add the butter and pulse until the mixture looks like coarse meal.
3. Drizzle in the egg and vanilla; pulse until the dough starts to come together.
4. Turn the dough out onto a sheet of plastic wrap and pat into a disk. Wrap and refrigerate until firm, at least 1 hour, preferably overnight.
5. Coarsely chop the remaining hazelnuts and reserve.
6. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface into a 12-inch round.
7. Press into the bottom and sides of a 9-inch tart pan with a removable bottom, then trim the excess dough. Prick the bottom all over with a fork.
8. Refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes.
9. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line the crust with foil, then fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake until the edges are golden, about 20 minutes.
10. Remove the foil and weights and continue baking until golden brown all over, 15 to 20 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack.
White Chocolate Mousse Cherry Pie
- 1 Oreo cookie pie crust
- 4 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 cup chopped white chocolate
Ingredients for Cherry Filling:
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 21-ounce can cherry pie filling
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon almost extract
Ingredients for White Chocolate Mousse:
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces Cool Whip
- 1 3.5 ounce package instant chocolate pudding mix
1. Place coarsely chopped chocolate in a heat proof bowl and set aside.
2. In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring the heavy cream to a boil.
3. Pour heavy over chocolate and let stand for two minutes until chocolate has softened.
4. Slowly whisk the mixture until smooth.
5. Pour just enough ganache into the bottom of the Oreo crust to coat the bottom; reserve the remainder for the mousse.
6. Chill pie crust while making the filling and mousse.
7. Place plastic wrap directly on surface of ganache and set aside to cool to room temperature.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 8 ounces cream cheese at room temperature* (reduced fat will work)
- 1 cup crunchy or smooth peanut butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 8-ounce container whipped topping, thawed
- 1 9-ounce premade chocolate pie crust
- 1 cup roasted, salted mixed nuts, chopped, optional
- 1 cup miniature peanut butter cups, cut in half
- 1/4 – 1/3 cup premade dark chocolate fudge (or caramel) topping, heated
1. Place chocolate chips in medium heat-proof bowl.
2. In a small saucepan or microwaveable glass bowl, heat the heavy cream just to boiling.
3. Pour the cream over the chocolate chips; allow to stand for 1-2 minutes.
4. Whisk until smooth. Cool to room temperature.
5. Pour over pie filling and smooth.
For more recipes, click here.
© 2018 KTHV-TV