LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (KTHV) -- Everything's bigger in Texas, and this Taco Tuesday we're borrowing a recipe from the Lone Star State.
Food blogger Debbie Arnold joined THV11 This Morning to show us her take on San Antonio Puffy Tacos with Picadillo.
You can find the recipe below. For more recipes, visit the Dining with Debbie blog.
Ingredients for puffy tacos:
-2 cups masa harina
-1 teaspoon salt
-1 1/4 cup warm (not hot) water (may need a little more)
-Riceland Rice Bran oil for frying (about 2 quarts)
Ingredients for Picadillo:
-2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
-1 teaspoon cumin seeds
-1 pound lean ground beef
-1 yellow onion, chopped fine
-1 small green bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and chopped fine
-1 russet potato (about 6 ounces), peeled and cut into 1/4-inch cubes
-3 garlic cloves, minced
-1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
-1 cup diced hard chorizo
-2 Tablespoons Wondra or masa harina
-1/3 cup sliced pitted green olives, optional
-1/4 cup raisins, optional
-1 bay leaf
-pinch of cloves
-1 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper (or less)
-1 teaspoon chili powder
-1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
-1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
-1/3 cup minced cilantro
-Pico de gallo
Instructions for Picadillo:
1. In a large cast iron skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add cumin seeds and toast just until fragrant.
2. Add in ground beef and brown; drain excess oil. Return ground beef to skillet.
3. Add in onion and green pepper; cook 4-5 minutes; add in potato and stir well to combine. Allow potato to cook until slightly tender.
4. Add garlic, cumin and chorizo; heat through.
5. Stir in 2 Tablespoons Wondra or masa harina. Add in olives, raisins (if using), cumin, bay leaf, cloves, chipotle pepper, chili powder, Worcestershire sauce, and diced tomatoes.
6. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
7. Allow to simmer until potatoes are cooked through; keep warm while preparing tacos.
8. Shortly before serving, stir in minced cilantro.
Instructions for Puffy Tacos:
1. Prepare the dough shortly before frying.
2. In a medium bowl, mix masa harina and salt together. Stir in lukewarm water with a rubber spatula. (Do not use hot or cold water.)
3. Knead dough until it comes together completely. It will still be soft and tacky but not sticky. Cover with a damp cloth and allow to rest about 5 minutes.
4. Divide dough into 12 equal portions. Roll each portion into a smooth ball about the size of a golf ball. Keep dough covered with a damp cloth.
5. Bring oil to 375 degrees.
6. Split a gallon-size ziplock bag along both side. Place 1 dough ball at a time between the two plastic pieces. Using a clear pie plate, mash dough ball into a 6-inch circle.
7. Remove tortilla from plastic and drop into fryer. Fry until the tortilla puffs up, about 15 seconds. Using 2 metal spatulas, flip the tortilla, pressing down in the center with 1 spatula to form a taco shape. Keep the tortilla submerged in the hot oil.
8. Use the 2nd spatula to keep the tortilla open about 1 1/2-2inches.
9. Place cooked taco shell on a wire rack to drain. Sprinkle with salt.
10. Repeat with remaining dough balls.
Divide picadillo evenly among the taco shells. Serve immediately topped with choice of shredded lettuce, cheese, tomato, avocado, Tabasco or taco serve, pico de gallo.
© 2017 KTHV-TV