LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (KTHV) -- You want to help people in need, but be sure that your donation is going where you think it is.
Charity is a $335 billion industry and we need to understand where gifts are going.
Always check out an unfamiliar charity. You can go to the Arkansas Attorney General Site http://www.arkansasag.gov/charity/ and see if that charity is registered.
More helpful tips:
- Ask for written information.
- Be aware of sound-alikes.
- Ask about the caller's relation to the charity.
- Be wary of requests to support police, firefighters, and veterans.
- Be especially cautious after natural or other disasters.
- Be proactive and purposeful. Always go directly to the charity. You do not need a middleman.
Another good site is http://www.charitynavigator.org/ to obtain information.