Two Marion officers won't face charges in teen's death

Body camera footage from Marion police officers during an officer involved shooting

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) - A state prosecutor said two eastern Arkansas police officers won't face charges in the fatal shooting of a black teenager outside an emergency youth shelter.

Prosecutor Scott Ellington said 16-year-old saying Aries Clark pointed a black BB gun at officers when he was shot on July 25 in Marion.

Ellington said Wednesday that the two local officers, Brannon Hinkle and Wesley Smith, were justified in using lethal force. He noted that body camera footage showed Clark raising what appeared to be a pistol toward the officers outside East Arkansas Youth Services.

Ellington said Clark had been placed at the facility by court order but had left and was trying to gain entry. The shelter contracts with the state to provide services to children in foster care or who have been involved in the juvenile justice system.

© 2017 Associated Press


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment