MORRISON, Ill. (AP) - A judge in northwestern Illinois has delayed the second trial of a 32-year-old man accused of killing eight people in two states.
Nicholas Sheley had been scheduled to go on trial March 5 in the death of 93-year-old Russell Reed of rural Sterling.
But Sheley's defense attorney, Jeremy Karlin, told a judge Friday that preparing for the case had been more complicated than anticipated and he couldn't be ready by then.
Judge Jeffrey O'Connor set a new trial date of June 11.
Judge O'Connor says he'll allow cameras at the second trial of a man accused of killing eight people in two states in a case that'll be the first big test of a new courtroom-camera policy.
Prosecutors had asked the presiding judge to bar cameras, arguing they'd make it harder to give Sheley a fair trial.
But Judge Jeffrey O'Connor ruled Friday that he'll permit cameras as part of the Illinois Supreme Court's decision to experiment with cameras in courts.
O'Connor says people in the area already know so much about Sheley's case that video from the trial won't "make one bit of difference" in picking a jury.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.)