WABBASEKA, Ark. (KTHV) - An electric power line worker is electrocuted while on the job this morning.
It happened outside of Wabbaseeka in Jefferson County just before 10 a.m.
The Sheriff's Department has identified the worker as 29-year-old David Newman of McCray Arkansas. The sheriff's office says Newman and three other workers with Louisiana High Lines Construction were replacing poles when a live wire electrocuted him.
The workers are contracted out by First Electric Cooperative. First Electric says their "thoughts and prayers are with the families and an investigation is underway." Workers continued to finish their jobs this afternoon on Brunetti Road. Sheriff's Deputy Major Lafayette Woods says witnesses reported Newman did not follow procedure when this accident happened.
"Mr. Newman was on the ground is my understanding and not wearing protective gloves as required and when he was guiding the pole down, the top of the pole hit the top of the line, which was live," says Major Woods.
Major Woods says paramedics and the police chief did everything they could to revive Newman. They also treated another worker who received a small electric shock.
He was released.
THV did reach out to Louisiana High Lines Construction for a statement but they say since the incident is still under investigation, and the company will not be making any comments.