NORTH LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (KTHV) - Do you feel it? Autumn is here! Vestal Urban Farm in the Argenta District on 13th and Crutcher Street is preparing for fall and they need volunteers.
It's all happening at the farm between 10:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m.
Here's a little about the Vestal Urban Farming Project from their website:
Argenta Community Development Corporation's Vestal Urban Farming Project is community building and organizing initiative that is primarily geared towards youth.
The overall mission of the Farm is to encourage additional academic opportunities, promote health and wellness initiatives, raise self-esteem, foster a positive work ethic, advocate for environmental stewardship, increase community engagement, and an incite an entrepreneurial spirit among elementary and high school students through hands-on participation in all aspects of the creation, implementation, managing, and marketing of sustainable urban farm. Specifically, the Farm offers opportunities to our younger participants that focus on:
- Improving academic achievement in various subjects including science, math, social studies, and language arts through horticulture-related classroom activities, hands-on gardening experiments, special projects, and field trips
- Fostering a healthy life style through growing and consuming fresh produce
- Educating students about nutrition and urban food systems
For our older participants, we offer programs that:
- Focus on the development and practice of workforce readiness skills and build work ethic
- Teach the concepts of starting and running a small business
- Introduce the students to a variety of food related careers and higher education opportunities, especially in the emerging green industry
- Give the students the opportunity to continue learning about the six pillars of character development, break down cultural barriers, and work in a team-inspired environment
- Educate the students about the connection between food, land, and the conservation of our natural resources
- Equip the students to take leadership in the community-building efforts of a neighborhood undergoing revitalization