DALLAS, TX (CBS/KTVT) -- Those attending the State Fair of Texas on Friday morning got more than they bargained for as the iconic character Big Tex went up in flames. The fire happened at about 10:30 a.m. as the Fair was kicking off it's final weekend of the year.
Fair officials confirmed that the blaze started in a motor located in the character's neck. "We don't know anything just yet. All we can imagine is that something with the electrical wiring went wrong," said Sally Womre with the State Fair of Texas. "Big Tex is wired to move his head and to speak, so that's what we believe right now."
Chopper 11 showed Big Tex's charred metal skeleton still standing. "His clothes are gone except for both sleeves," said Womre.
Bill Bragg is the voice of Big Tex. He does not stand near the character, however, and nobody was injured during the fire.