CONWAY, Ark. (KTHV) - Families in part of Central Arkansas may start applying for help during the holidays. The Salvation Army in Conway is accepting applications for this year's Angel Tree program, which serves residents in Cleburne, Faulkner, Perry, and Van Buren counties.
"I started here at the Salvation Army bell ringing for them," said Sherri Clark, a resident of Faulkner County.
Homeless just two years ago, Clark said due in part to programs, such as, the Angel Tree sponsored by the Salvation Army, she is now the general manager at a national company.
"I'm now the general manager of Church's Chicken," said Clark.
She said her goal is to next year make a donation to the Angel Tree.
"I'm hoping that I won't need the assistance," said Clark.
Lt. Jamie Clay heads the Angel Tree program at the Conway Salvation Army.
"It's nice as a Salvation Army Officer to see those that need help and turn around one day and pay it forward," said Lt. Clay.
Lt. Clay said also at the top of her priority list is granting the request of a mother of two special needs children. Lt. Clay says the mother requested a medical crib last Christmas for one of her children. One child lives with Autism, the other is wheelchair bound. Lt. Clay said due to limited funds, the organization was unable to grant the mother's wish last year.
"Her child is having to sleep in a dog's padded bed because of the dangers that it would be for her to be in a regular bed," said Lt. Clay.
Anyone wanting to donate to the Angel Tree or with questions can contact Lt. Jamie Clay at (501) 329-1712.
Those who qualify for applications are low income families with children younger than twelve years old or families who need help providing food during the holidays. Qualified families can apply to get help with their Christmas gifts for children and food boxes.
Applications are accepted from 10 a.m. until noon and 1 p.m. until 4 p.m. on October 23-26 at the Salvation Army in Conway, 950 Carson Cove Suite 106. Tuesday through Friday are the only days to apply for the program, as there will be no makeup days for applying.
All applicants must bring the following with them to The Salvation Army:
1. Photo ID for the head of household (Driver's License or State ID)
2. Proof of Residence: (One of the following) Utility bill, Phone bill, Rental agreement, Mail that matches your ID with zip codes.
3. Proof of Household Income: (One of the following) Paycheck stub, Unemployment documentation, Food stamps documentation, any documentation that shows how you maintain your household.
4. Proof of all monthly expenses (rent receipts, utility bills, etc.)
5. Proof of Children: (One of the following) TANF papers, Birth certificate, Shot records that show DOB, any legal form that has your name and the child's name and DOB (Social Security cards will NOT be accepted as proof that this is your child)
6. Proof that child or children has same address as head of household such as Medicaid form, report cards, shot records or lease agreement.
7. Clothing/shoe sizes for all children (12 and under)
8. Gift suggestions for all children (12 and under)*
Note from the Salvation Army: Do not bring your children with you or you will not be allowed to register. Also, gifts are purchased at the discretion of sponsors. The Salvation Army only provides sponsors suggestions. It is ideal to keep your suggested gifts at $30 or less.
Little Rock Salvation Army hiring Angel Tree workers