UNDATED (CNN) -- Ahead of the biggest candy eating, costume wearing day, parents should know if they are unprepared, their Halloween could truly be horrifying. Every year doctors say trick or treaters end up in a doctor's office or the emergency room because of Halloween hazards.
Every Halloween three things are certain such as candy, costumes and doctors say, a visit to their office.
Allergy and asthma doctor Talal Nsouli says every year children with allergic reactions are rushed to the emergency room or doctors office and the triggers of potentially deadly allergic reactions are the very items that put the fun in Halloween like the costumes. Nsouli says, "If you are allergic to nickel, we can start having some sensitivities, some eczema some contact dermatitis, redness of the skin."
Face paint can have the same effect. If your child has food allergies inspect every treat and its ingredients.
Beware, the fog machine at the haunted house could cause sneezing, itchy eyes and nose and the excitement of seeing those ghouls and goblins could bring on an asthma attack. Nsouli says, "To put in your mouth and to breath in and this will open the lungs. All of the above can result in a perfect storm of Halloween triggers, causing a severe allergic reaction."
Dr. Nsouli says prepare and prevent. Pre-medicate by using your inhaler about 20 minutes before trick or treating, or take an anti histamine as directed.
Have children eat dinner first so they wont eat their candy before its inspected.
Most importantly have the right supplies and know how to use them. an inhaler, and for children with food allergies, an epi-pen, the prescription only shot of epinephrine could save a life minutes after a severe allergic reaction.
Something else for parents to note, if you like to dig into your kids stash of candy, the FDA warns that too much black licorice can lead to an irregular heartbeat if you are age 40 or older.