Teen burned at Universal Orlando hospitalized, officials say

ORLANDO, Fla. - A teenage girl was taken to a hospital after a burn injury at Universal Orlando, officials said.

Universal Orlando called the Orlando Fire Department about a burn patient around 3 p.m. Saturday.

The incident happened on the Hogwarts Express traveling to Islands of Adventure. Orlando police said there were eight people in the train compartment -- a family of five from Tennessee and three young men.

An electronic cigarette in the pocket of one of the men exploded, sending a flash of fire toward the 14-year-old girl next to him, Orlando police said.

The girl was taken to Arnold Palm Hospital for Children with serious burns to her left side, police said. The owner of the cigarette had minor burns.

The train was closed for the remainder of the day. There was no damage to the ride and it was expected to reopen Sunday.

Investigators are calling the incident a freak accident.



To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment