LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (KTHV) -- THV 11 is working for you this morning by giving you simple steps to look and feel even more gorgeous in the new year.
Here are nine beauty resolutions you should make and keep this year from Good Housekeeping.
1. Apply sunscreen daily - In rain or shine, harmful ultraviolet rays are present throughout the entire year, so cover up if you want to avoid premature wrinkles, dark spots, and skin cancer.
2. Use eye cream daily - To fight fine lines and wrinkles, apply a nourishing eye cream twice a day. When choosing one, look for these two ingredients: retinol and hyaluronic acid, to stimulate collagen production leave skin feeling softer and looking plumper.
3. Exfoliate at least once a week - Revitalize your texture and tone by buffing away dead skin cells. Dermatologists recommend using a glycolic acid peel twice a week and once a week for sensitive skin.
4. Remove makeup and wash your face before bed - Debris from makeup and environmental pollutants build up during the day.
By nightfall, the concealer you applied in the morning may even trap skin-damaging free radicals. So even if you're exhausted, reach for a face wipe and remove impurities.
5. Wash makeup brushes weekly - It's better for your skin, helps makeup go on smoother, and extends the lifespan of the brushes.
Squeeze out a drop of liquid anti-bacterial soap on the center of your palm. Wet the brush and swirl it around the soap. Next, run the bristles under warm water until it runs clear. And finish by gently ringing out the bristles and laying the brush flat.
6. Apply heat protectant on hair before using hot tools - Use a thermal protectant on your hair to prevent frizz and breakage when using hot tools like a curling iron.
7. Deep condition hair every week - It builds the keratin protein in the structure of the hair and strengthens it. To get the most bang for your buck, soak strands with warm water before smoothing on deep conditioner. This will help open up the hair cuticle and allow the product to penetrate.
8. Make your manicure last - To make your at-home manicure last, don't soak your nails in water before you use polish. It swells your nails and the polish won't apply properly. Next use a clear base coat and apply horizontally to create a lasting bond of protection. Also, apply a new top coat every other day.
9. Get more zzzzs - "Sleep is free cosmetic medicine," says New York dermatologist Amy Wechsler, MD. Ideally you should get between seven to eight hours of sleep.
Read more: 2013 Beauty Resolutions - Best Skin Care and Hair Care Tips - Good Housekeeping
(Source: Good Housekeeping)