LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (KTHV) - THV 11 News is focused on your health for this Medical Monday. Here are five reasons why you may need a calcium supplement from Yahoo! Voices.
1. You have a history of restrictive dieting. If you're a restrictive eater, make sure you're getting the recommended amounts of calcium to prevent fracture and other problems associated with low bone density.
2. Your mother or grandmother have low bone density, osteoporosis or osteopenia. A calcium and Vitamin-D regimen is the recommended action in preventing these bone disorders, especially with a close family history.
3. You love your diet soda. The phosphoric acid in diet drinks has been shown to deplete calcium in the body. And if you use diet soda to replace food and nutrients in order to avoid calories, that combines risk factors. Not only are you not ingesting calcium, but you're depleting it as well.
4. You're a vegan. Without eating any animal products or animal byproducts, it's hard to get your calcium requirements from a plant-based diet. If you are vegan, there are plant-based calcium supplements available to help you get the calcium you need.
5. You have restricted mobility. Weight bearing exercises and strength training help to make for stronger, denser bones. But if you have limited mobility, it's important to do everything you can to keep your bones healthy, so a supplement might be needed.