IMPERIAL BEACH, Calif. (June 16, 2012) - Loews Coronado Bay Resort is pleased to announce the winners of the "Loews Coronado Bay Resort Surf Dog Competition" held on June 16 in Imperial Beach, Calif. Now in its seventh year, the nation's original surfing competition drew more than 50 surf dog competitors and thousands of spectators from across the country.
• Heat One (small dogs): Abbie Girl, an Australian Kelpie
• Heat Two (large dogs): Ricochet, a Golden Retriever, and ASPCA Dog of the Year
• Heat Three (tandem): Zoey, a Jack Russell Terrier, and owners Scott & Tyler Chandler
Dogs/teams were scored on confidence level, length of ride and overall ability to "grip it and rip it." Winners scored the ultimate pet vacation at Loews Coronado Bay Resort... and endless bragging rights.
In addition to the competition, this year's event broke three Guinness Book of World Records,* including:
• Most amount of dogs surfing on one board at one time (more than 10 dogs)
• Most amount of dogs surfing on one board at one time (more than 10 dogs) with a human (Scott Chandler)
• Most amount of dogs surfing on one board at one time (more than 10 dogs) with two humans (Scott and Tyler Chandler)
This popular canine competition is an extension of Loews' award-winning Loews Loves Pets program and has become a successful fundraiser for non-profit organizations. This year's event benefited the ASPCA® (The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals®). The ASPCA is the first animal humane organization in North America and is a national leader in the areas of anti-cruelty, community outreach and animal health services.
Event footage will be submitted to the Guinness Book of World Records for official documentation. The next event is slated for June 2013. For more information, please visit www.loewssurfdog.com.