Photo Courtesy: UA Athletics (Logan J. Webster)
Charlottesville, Va. (Univ. of Ark.) - The No. 55 Arkansas Razorback men's tennis team dropped a tough match to No. 1 Virginia 6-1 in the Charlottesville Regional Championship of the ITA Kickoff on Saturday evening. Arkansas drops to 3-1 while Virginia improves to 2-0 on the season.
"I was proud of the guys today," head coach Robert Cox said. "We hung in there and battled, but I have to give Virginia credit, there is a reason they are number one in the country."
Virginia took the early lead winning the doubles point with Mike Nott and Manfred Jeske falling to #4 Jarmere Jenkins and Mac Styslinger 8-4 and Gregoire Lehmann and Mike Ward dropping their match to #8 Harrison Richmond and Alex Domijan 8-3. Hall Fess and Victor Hoang did not finish their match with #9 Justin Shane and Julen Uriguen.
Nott scored the lone point for the Razorbacks defeating Julen Uriguen in and intense three-set match. After dropping the first set to Uriguen, Nott fought back to take back-to-back sets 6-4, 6-4. Nott's victory gives him a 2-0 record for the 2013 season.
"The highlight of the day was Mike's great three-setter," Coach Cox said. "He played a quality opponent and came out with a huge win."
The Hogs showed a lot of heart Saturday evening holding their own against the number one team in the nation. Virginia had four of their six singles players ranked in the top-75, with three in the top-10. On the doubles side, Virginia had all three duos ranked in the top ten in the country.
"We will come away from this with a lot of lessons learned and will become a better team," Coach Cox said. "We now have to look to the future and focus our energy on getting better every day and prepare for UAB on Wednesday."
Arkansas opens its 2013 home season Wednesday afternoon against No. 75 UAB at 3 p.m. at the Dills Indoors Tennis Center.
#55 Arkansas vs. #1 Virginia
Official Singles Results:
1. #2 Alex Domijan (VA) def. Gregoire Lehmann (ARK) 6-3. 6-1
2. #4 Jarmere Jenkins (VA) def. Santiago Munoz (ARK) 6-1, 6-3
3. #7 Mac Styslinger (VA) def. Jovan Parlic (ARK) 6-1, 6-3
4. Mitchell Frank (VA) def. Mike Ward (ARK) 6-2, 6-2
5. Mike Nott (ARK) def. Julen Uriguen 1-6, 6-4, 6-4.
6. #55 Harrison Richmond (VA) def. Victor Hoang (ARK) 6-4, 6-2
Official Doubles Results:
1. #4 Jenkins/Styslinger (VA) def. Nott/Jeske (ARK) 8-4
2. #9 J.Shane/J.Uriguen (VA) vs. Fess/Hoang (ARK) (DNF) 6-4
3. #8 Richmond/Domijan (VA) def. Lahmann/Ward (ARK) 8-3