Photo Courtesy: UA Athletics (Walt Beazley)
AUBURN, ALA. (Univ. of Ark.) - The University of Arkansas women's tennis team dropped a road match, falling at Auburn 6-1. The Razorbacks recorded a singles victory from senior Claudine Paulson, who won her fourth consecutive singles match.
"No question Auburn got the best of things out there today," Arkansas head coach Michael Hegarty said. "After we got the first three set I felt we might turn it around, but Auburn met the challenge."
Paulson defeated Michala Kucharova 6-3, 7-5 at No. 2 singles, improving her record on the year to 12-2. With her fourth consecutive victory, she moves to 4-0 in singles during SEC play.
"Claudine is showing exactly what senior leadership is all about," Hegarty said. "She goes from strength to strength, and is giving us a great spark at the top."
Arkansas dropped the doubles point to the Tigers, losing at No. 1 and No. 2 doubles. Paulson and freshman Segou Jonker fell 8-5 to the Auburn duo of Burgmans/Kurteva, and Sarah McLean and Kimberley - Ann Surin fell 8-0 to Kasler/Flickinger.
In singles, the Tigers got out to a fast start, winning the first three singles matches to clinch the victory. McLean, Yang Pang, and Brittany Huxley all dropped their matches as the Tigers got out to a 4-0 lead.
Arkansas answered back with the win by Paulson, as she won in straight sets to give Arkansas their lone point of the day. In the final two matches, Ana Lorena Belmar Hernandez and Kimberley - Ann Surin lost in the third set, as Auburn earned the 6-1 victory.
The Razorbacks are back home next weekend, taking on a pair of new conference opponents at the Billingsley Tennis Center. Arkansas hosts Missouri at 1 p.m. on Friday and then Texas A&M at 1 p.m. on Sunday.
Complete Singles Results
Complete Doubles Results
1. No. 70 Pleun Burgmans (AU) def. Yang Pang (ARK) 6-1, 6-4
2. Claudine Paulson (ARK) def. Michala Kucharova (AU) 6-3, 7-5
3. Emily Flickinger (AU) def. Sarah McLean (ARK) 6-3, 6-1
4. Jackie Kasler (AU) def. Kimberley - Ann Surin (ARK) 6-3, 3-6, 6-0
5. Jen Pfeifler (AU) def. Ana Lorena Belmar Hernandez (ARK) 6-4, 1-6, 1-0
6. Plamena Kurteva (AU) def. Brittany Huxley (ARK) 6-3, 6-3
1. No. 56 Pleun Burgmans/Plamena Kurteva (AU) def. Claudine Paulson/Segou Jonker (ARK) 8-5
2. Jackie Kasler/Emily Flickinger (AU) def. Sarah McLean/Kimberley - Ann Surin (ARK) 8-0
3. Yang Pang/Brittany Huxley (ARK) - Jen Pfeifler/Paulina Schippers (AU) 5-6, unf.