Photo Courtesy: UA Athletics (Walt Beazley)
FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. - The University of Arkansas women's tennis team dropped on home match Friday, falling to South Carolina 5-2 at Billingsley Tennis Center. The Razorbacks fall to 10-11, 3-6 SEC on the season.
"It was a long, tough match today," Arkansas head coach Michael Hegarty said. "There were a lot of ups and downs, but I thought we fought extremely hard. There was a lot of good things out there for us today, and we took a step forward."
In doubles play, the two squads split the first two matches. Arkansas took the match at No. 3 doubles, as Kimberley - Ann Surin and Ana Lorena Belmar Hernandez dispatches of Jaklin Alawi and Dominika Kanakova 8-3. The Gamecocks evened it back up, as their No. 50 duo of Lechemia/Siles Luna defeated Arkansas' No. 59 Claudine Paulson and Segou Jonker 8-3. The doubles point came down to No. 2 doubles, where Yang Pang and Brittany Huxley fell 8-6 in a tight match and South Carolina took a 1-0 lead.
In singles play, South Carolina extended their lead, as Elixane Lechemia defeated Kimberley - Ann Surin in straight sets, 6-1, 6-4, and went up 2-0. That lead went to 3-0 as the Gamecocks struck next, winning on Court 6 as Josefin Andersson defeated Ana Lorena Belmar Hernandez 7-5, 6-1.
South Carolina clinched the match at No. 4. Sarah McLean lost to Dominika Kanakova 6-3, 6-3.
At No. 2 singles, No. 97 Claudine Paulson took her match into the third set, but fell in a tiebreaker. Her 5-7, 6-2, 1-0 (6) loss to No. 98 Katerina Popova was her first conference loss of the year.
Brittany Huxley got the first Razorback win of the day, defeating Ximena Siles Luna at No. 5 singles. Huxley won 7-5, 6-2. The final match of the day was at No.1 singles, where No. 47 Yang Pang went into a tiebreak for the third set against No. 87 Jaklin Alawi. She won the third set, as two freshmen closed out the match with wins for the Razorbacks.
The Razorbacks are back in action Sunday, as they will host No. 2 Florida at Billingsley Tennis Center at 2 p.m.
South Carolina 5, Arkansas 2
Complete Singles Results
1. No. 47 Yang Pang (ARK) def. No. 87 Jaklin Alawi (SC) 5-7, 6-4, 1-0 (3)
2. No. 98 Katerina Popova (SC) def. No. 97 Claudine Paulson (ARK) 5-7, 6-2, 1-0 (6)
3. Elixane Lechemia (SC) def. Kimberley - Ann Surin (ARK) 6-1, 6-4
4. Dominika Kanakova (SC) def. Sarah McLean (ARK) 6-3, 6-3
5. Brittany Huxley (ARK) def. Ximena Siles Luna (SC) 7-5, 6-2
6. Josefin Andersson (SC) def. Ana Lorena Belmar Hernandez (ARK) 7-5, 6-1
Complete Doubles Results
1. No. 50 Elixane Lechemia/Ximena Siles Luna (SC) def. No. 59 Claudine Paulson/ Segou Jonker (ARK) 8-3
2. Katerina Popova/Josefin Andersson (SC) def. Brittany Huxley/Yang Pang (ARK) 8-6
3. Kimberley - Ann Surin/Ana Lorena Belmar Hernandez (ARK) def. Jaklin Alawi/Dominika Kanakova (SC) 8-3
Jordan Ozer: UofA Media Relations