Reddies Come up Short Against OBU

    2:20 PM, Jan 24, 2014   |    comments
    (Photo Courtesy: Charlie Hunnicutt)
    • Share
    • Print
    • - A A A +

    ARKADELPHIA, Ark. (HSU) - Micah Delph's 15-foot jumper with 3 seconds left to play, lifted Ouachita Baptist to a 61-59 win over Henderson State, Thursday in the Southern Bancorp Battle of the Ravine at the Duke Wells Center in Arkadelphia, Ark.

    With2:04 remaining in the game and OBU leading 59-55, Reggie Murphy cut the Reddie deficit to a single bucket with a layup of his own. Melvin Haynes then tied the score at 59-59 with a reverse layup with 34 ticks left on the clock.

    OBU was content to take the last shot as Delph took a step inside the 3-point arc and drained his shot to give the Tigers the lead.

    Henderson State executed the in-bound play to perfection as Kozan lofted a pass the length of the court to Murphy at the top of the key. Murphy fed the ball to Haynes in the right wing. The senior from Akron, Ohio got a good look and launched the 21-footer that rattled around the rim but fell out as time expired.

    In a game that had nine ties and nine lead changes, Henderson State built a 28-23 lead at the half with the help of Brian Umoru's 7 points including a 5-for-5 effort at the foul line.

    The Reddies, 8-10 overall and 4-6 in the Great American Conference, dominated the boards in the half grabbing 22 rebounds compared to 13 for the Tigers. However, the Reddies were plagued with 10 turnovers in the first 20 minutes.

    OBU, 6-10 overall and 3-7 in the GAC, took its first lead in the second-half when Colt Fason hit an open shot from 12 feet out with 8:49 left in thengame.

    The Tigers pushed their lead to 52-48 before Kozan drained a trifecta with 5:16 left to play. Ronald Lawson then tied the score when he converted on one of two free throws.

    Fason put the Tigers back on top 54-52 with a pair of free throws a minute later.

    The lead changed hands again HSU's Deoirvay Johnson hit a 3-point field goal with 3:49 remaining to give the Reddies a 55-54 advantage.

    The Reddie lead was short-lived as Fason again answered with a long-range jumper to put OBU back in front 57-55 with 3:15 left to play.

    Fason ended the night with a game-high 18 points to go along with 11 rebounds.

    Kozan led the Reddies with 14 points including four 3-point field goals, while Murphy had 12 points and 8 rebounds.

    Haynes also finished in double-figures with 11 points on 4-of-10 shooting.

    The Reddies finished the game shooting 42 percent from the field converting on 20-of-48 attempts, while OBU was 24-of-55 for 44 percent.

    The Reddies managed just 12-of-20 from the foul line, while the Tigers were 6-for-8 from the charity stripe.
    Henderson State will hit the road Saturday as the Reddies travel to Monticello, Ark. to face Arkansas-Monticello with tip-off set for 4 p.m.

    Most Watched Videos