(Photo: Walt Beazley/U of A)
Omaha, Neb., - The No. 56 University of Arkansas men's tennis team opened its season strong shutting out Nebraska-Omaha and South Dakota State, Sunday afternoon.
"I was very happy and pleased with our play today," Head Coach Robert Cox said. "We had a lot of new faces out on the courts and they really stepped up and played some quality tennis."
The Razorbacks opened the day sweeping Nebraska-Omaha 7-0. All three doubles teams recorded a victory of 8-4 over the Mavericks.
Throughout the first match Arkansas was in control with every singles match winning in straight sets. Seniors Mike Ward and Gregoire Lehmann got their senior seasons off on the right foot by taking their matches; Ward 6-1, 6-1 and Lehmann 6-2, 6-1.
Three Razorbacks made their collegiate debut in dual match play. Freshmen Austin Robles, Christian Lee and redshirt junior Pete Thomason all recorded their first victories for Arkansas. Sophomore Victor Hoang had the closest match of the day taking down Eric McKnight 7-6, 6-3 at the No. 2 position.
After a brief break, the Razorbacks continued domination on the courts taking the doubles point over the South Dakota State Jack Rabbits. Lehmann and Ward paired up for doubles winning 8-4 over Lowley and Thorpe. Thomason and Lee did not allow a point to Boglic and Moreira, winning 8-0.
"I was impressed with Mike and Gregoire's doubles performance today against South Dakota State," Coach Cox said. "They are our only two seniors and they are beginning to take a leadership role on the court."
The Jack Rabbits put up a tough fight, but the Razorbacks once again won all six singles matches Thomason, the only match to go into three sets, came out on top in a thrilling third set tie breaker. Freshman Santiago Munoz got his first win in dual play as a Razorback taking down Henrique Pereira 6-2, 6-3.
Arkansas will be back in action next weekend when it travels to Charlottesville, Va., to play in the ITA Kickoff. The Razorbacks will take on No. 63 Georgia State in the first match, followed by either No. 1 Virginia or No. 64 North Florida depending on the outcome of the first match.
"I am really excited for this team and can't wait to see what the future holds," Coach Cox said.
Arkansas vs. Nebraska- Omaha
Official Singles Results:
1. Gregoire Lehmann (ARK) def. Conner Tiezen (UNO) 6-2. 6-1
2. Victor Hoang (ARK) def. Eric McKnight (UNO) 7-6, 6-3
3. Mike Ward (ARK) def. Carlos Ramos (UNO) 6-1, 6-1
4. Christian Lee (ARK) def. Conner Larson (UNO) 6-1, 6-1
5. Pete Thomason (ARK) def. Matt Frost (UNO) 6-1, 6-2
6. Austin Robles (ARK) def. Pete Greteman (UNO) 6-1, 6-1
Official Doubles Results:
1. Lehmann & Hoang (ARK) def. Greteman & McKnight (UNO) 8-4
2. Lee & Ward (ARK) def. Ramos & Tieszen (UNO) 8-4
3. Thomason & Robles (ARK) def. Frost & Larson (UNO) 8-4
Arkansas vs. South Dakota State
Official Singles Results
1. Gregoire Lehmann (ARK) def. Parker Lawley (SDS) 6-1, 6-0
2. Santiago Munoz (ARK) def. Henrique Pereira (SDS) 6-2, 6-3
3. Victor Hoang (ARK) def. James Thorp (SDS) 6-1, 6-1
4. Mike Ward (ARK) def. Andrea Boglc (SDS) 6-2, 6-3
5. Christian Lee (ARK) def. Luis Duque (SDS) 6-0, 6-0
6. Pete Thomason (ARK) def. Mateus Moreira (SDS) 4-6, 6-2, 10-2
Official Doubles Results:
1. Ward & Lehmann (ARK) def. Lowley & Thorp (SDS) 8-4
2. Thomason & Lee (ARK) def. Boglic & Moreira (SDS) 8-0
3. Moreiea & Pereira (SDS) def. Robles & Hoang (ARK) 8-6